Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Give A Hoot, Recycle

Okay, I think we've gotten Taylor Swift out of our system.

...well, actually, over the course of the past week, I've pretty much gone from 'like Taylor's music' to 'I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy', but that's beside the point. This is, amazingly enough, not yet a Taylor Swift fansite, so we need to move on to other topics.

So. Coming up on November 15 is America Recycles Day. I could recite to you all the stats about how wasteful Americans are, but I get the feeling that it sounds so much like a lecture about how bad a person you are that the numbers and the stories and everything just have this way of turning people off and causing them to chuck stuff out of spite. So in the interest of moving things in the right direction, we will dispense with the lecture here. If you'd like a lecture, the Huffington Post is happy to supply one.

Here, I'll only mention that, economy being what it is, practicing the three R's is going to become more and more of an essential skill. The more you reduce what you use, reuse the stuff you do, and recycle what can't be used anymore for its original purpose, the less stuff you will need to buy, which means the more money you will save. And when you do buy something, putting them into practice means you're a little more willing to go into places like Goodwill and St. Vincent and garage sales and reuse things other people don't have uses for anymore. That's also going to save you money. Sound good? Thought so.

So at that first link, you'll see the day's official website, where entire events are being planned around the third R, recycling. There you will also find a link to Earth911- well, you'll find it here too now, I guess- where, if you've ever wondered if something can be recycled- say, single-use batteries (you know, the ones you've got in your remote) and where you can recycle it, you can find out. (Unfortunately, not very many places. For me, if I wanted to remain in-STATE, I'd have to drive to Deerfield.)

Are we jumping the gun a bit? Sure. Is that a bad thing? No.

No comments: