Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

No, I Don't Wanna

Headline, from the Smithsonian's website: "You Can Watch the First Ever Operation To Transplant A 3D-Printed Skull Into a Person's Head".

Okay, see, here's the thing. As a kid, I remember doing rounds of channel-surfing, back in the days before channel listings were loaded right into the TV and you didn't have to channel-surf anymore. This was also back when TLC was still actually living up to its name as The Learning Channel. I'd be going along, just flipping through channels, nope, nope, nope, nope, and then I'd get up to TLC, and there was every chance they'd be showing something like open heart surgery. I am a wuss when it comes to these things. A total wuss. I cannot look at my own arm when I'm giving blood. I winced the last time I got a tetanus shot because I remember hearing everywhere how painful it was and it was a decade since the last one and so I'd forgotten that a tetanus shot is actually just a little prick that you barely feel. So I went all screamy and icky and GET IT OFF CHANGE IT.

So yes. Yes, I can watch it. But no, I don't want to. I also didn't particularly need to hear that the operation came about because the patient's regular skull was thickening and putting pressure on her brain. I will satisfy myself with the fact that the operation, taking place in the Netherlands, was a success.
You Can Watch the First Ever Operation to Transplant a 3D-Printed Skull Into a Person's Head


Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/you-can-watch-first-ever-3d-printed-skull-transplant-180950314/#fRkrGJjulqQzp2Mw.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
You Can Watch the First Ever Operation to Transplant a 3D-Printed Skull Into a Person's Head


Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/you-can-watch-first-ever-3d-printed-skull-transplant-180950314/#fRkrGJjulqQzp2Mw.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

No comments: